Having activities in our lives that absorb challenge and grow us are important parts of us flourishing.
Psychologist Carol Ryff who has studied wellbeing throughout the stages of life, argues that two dimensions are vital.
• Feeling we are continually developing and growing, - having a sense of discovery and using more of our potential – not stagnating
• Being interested in and open to new experiences
• Using learning to adapt, change and improve over time
• Feeling a sense of competence in our external personal environment and making use of opportunities as they arise
• Managing and creating our personal environment to reflect who we are and what we value
The ability to adapt to, and shape our environments, is an important part of resilience.